Caring for your teeth and gums is essential. Poor dental health increases your risks of cavities, tooth decay, gum recession, gum disease, dental infections, and other oral health problems. It also increases your risk of developing systemic conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. While you might want to care for your teeth and gums, you may also remain concerned about whether the products you use to clean your mouth are non-toxic and safe.
Unfortunately, poor regulation haunts the personal care industry. In many cases, the ingredients of oral care products such as toothpaste, dental floss, and mouthwash are toxic and harmful to your health. Therefore, if you want clean teeth with a similar conscience without sacrificing your overall health, you must choose beneficial products for your teeth and gums. In addition, they must also be safe for your overall health.
Recently the number of customers demanding non-toxic and natural care products has increased, including natural dental and oral care products. Therefore it is easier than earlier to locate safe options to keep your teeth and gums healthy and clean besides having a clean conscience.
As most drugstores stock non-toxic natural dental care products, we share with you some beneficial versions.
From Toothpaste to Mouthwash
- Bamboo Toothbrushes: Regular teeth brushing is essential to maintain optimal dental health. Unfortunately, plastic helps make conventional toothbrushes on the market, making them harmful to the environment and your mouth. In addition, toxic chemicals, including hormone disruptors, are present in plastic that you wouldn’t want to ingest by putting in your mouth. Therefore we recommend using a natural toothbrush that bamboo helps create. The toothbrush is excellent because it is better for your health and is made from biodegradable and compostable material.
- Non-Toxic Toothpaste: if you are concerned about plastic toothbrushes, you will undoubtedly want to ensure you use non-toxic toothpaste because the chances of ingesting some toothpaste when brushing remain high. If you are concerned about the risks of fluorosis, cognitive deficits, and thyroid problems, you will not find it challenging to find products with fluoride when looking for such toothpaste.
- We recommend using toothpaste free from artificial flavours, colours, and fragrances to help you avoid hormone disruptors and toxic ingredients generally found in conventional toothpaste. Essential oils and baking soda are ingredients of natural toothpaste. You can even find some brands with activated charcoal to assist in pulling out impurities from your teeth and gums.
- Toothpaste Tablets: are you aware some brands are now offering toothpaste tablets? If you aren’t, you will be happy to note that tablets don’t come in tubes, leaving them free from plastic and producing no waste, making them environmentally friendly. These tablets are excellent non-toxic dental care solutions. However, you must ensure the brands you choose contain safe and natural ingredients. When using toothpaste tablets, you merely chew them and use a wet toothbrush to clean your teeth as you usually do.
- Dental Floss: as you consider using natural toothpaste/mouthwash, you would defeat your purpose if you didn’t include natural floss, also available on the market without nonstick chemicals coated. These nonstick chemicals are also used in Teflon coatings. Nonstick coatings are incredibly harmful to your health and can make you vulnerable to developing colon cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, renal cancer, impaired fetal development, ADHD, and higher LDL cholesterol. In addition to nonstick coatings, you must also be cautious about artificial flavours, colours and fragrances some brands use on dental floss. In addition, you must consider non-toxic options authenticated by the CDA as safe for use and research carefully before you purchase any specific brand on the market.
- Mouthwash: an excellent way to combat bad breath and to help improve your dental health is to use mouthwash or rinse. Mouthwash brands on the market contain alcohol and are harsh because they dehydrate your teeth and gums. You don’t have to avoid mouthwashes but look for non-toxic brands to ensure you remain safe even if you ingest some of it accidentally.
The Benefits of Using Natural Oral Hygiene Products
Many benefits are associated with using natural oral hygiene products, having clean teeth and a clean conscience. Unfortunately, some proponents of the popular oral hygiene products on the market might spread information that natural products haven’t been proven safe because they lack sufficient scientific evidence. However, you can discuss using natural products with the dental clinic in Calgary when you visit them for routine cleanings and exams that only a dentist can provide. Unfortunately, you cannot substitute dental visits or avoid them for fear of harming your oral health. Therefore before using any natural products, you must discuss their benefits and risks with Dr. Erin Perry in Canada for advice on how and when to start using natural oral hygiene products.
If you are scared about the toxicity in oral hygiene products available over the counter, consider using natural brands after discussing with Poplar Dental to benefit your dental health. Consult them today on the best brands available before you start using them.